Friday, March 5, 2010

Day 5- Eat Slowly & Mindfully

Jennifer you had the perfect timing with your comment yesterday :) Thank you for joining me and for your advice. Today I will eat slowly and mindfully not letting myself get distracted and enjoy every bite. Sounds simple enough, but it's really NOT, lol. This what I do while I'm eating:

I have never really thought about it before, but I have a hard time just sitting and eating without playing with my phone, on the computer, newspaper, or read anything else that laying around (and there's always something laying around). Here's why it's important for me to ditch the distractions:

*When you eat slowly your brain has time to register that you're full.
*When you notice and enjoy every mouthful you feel more satisfied when the food is gone.

So I tried it this morning with my Wheaties and bananas. It felt really weird without something else to do, but it was good and I think that it will really help me when I'm eating dinner. Obviously I'm going to be distracted by the kids in some way (distracted sounds like the wrong word, but you know what I mean) but I'm going to still try and be focussed on taking breaks in my eating and just take my time.

Last night is probably a good example of when I should have been practicing this. My little brother came over to do laundry and was still around at dinner time. I made sure that everyone was taken care of before I measured out my portions and started to eat. I was so focussed on chatting that I just shoveled the food in and then I was still talking and sitting at the table when my plate was empty so it just seemed like I should get more food. Without really thinking too much I scooped up more and continued on. It was mostly broccoli that I was scooping up, but still it wasn't food that I originally planned on having.

Eat slowly and mindfully with me today :) Let me know how it goes. Speaking of eating here are some yummy and point friendly things that I've been making this week:

Tandoori Chicken
Garlic Balsamic Asparagas
Chinese Chicken and Broccoli

I am most definitely going to try these soon too. I love that they're baked!

PS. My friend Andrea and I weigh and measure ourselves every Friday morning. I'm happy to report that I am officially down 3.1 pounds!!

No comments:

Post a Comment